Started in 2004, Mulanje branch is one of the nine branches WESM has found in the southern
region of Malawi. The branch has its office within Mulanje Mountain Conservation Trust – MMCT building along Chitakale-Muloza boarder road opposite Mulanje View motel. The
branch operates its activities in three districts namely; Mulanje, Phalombe and some parts of Thyolo. The branch coordinates more than 200 school and Youth wildlife clubs, it also has
individual and corporate members. Its leadership includes Branch chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer both of them performing their duties voluntarily and one employed staff who works as Environmental Education Coordinator for the branch.
The branch conducts a lot of activities which among them are;
1. Coordinating and delivering environmental education to school, Youth, faith-based
wildlife clubs and communities.
2. Developing user friendly Environmental Education materials.
3. Supporting wildlife clubs in setting up micro-projects in environmental related activities.
4. Conducting local research on biodiversity that occurs in and outside Mt. Mulanje
Biosphere Reserve (MMBR)
5. Waste management, IAS activities and trainings etc.
The branch on behalf of the secretariat implemented small grant project for 2022-23 funded
by WeForest which was aimed at increasing environmental education and awareness, orchard
establishment and management in Mulanje district. The branch also implemented the
Invasive Alien project a government funded project through Environmental Affairs
Department (EAD) which WESM had a role of conducting IAS awareness activities targeting
different groups of people in both Mulanje and Phalombe.
WESM Mulanje Branch has for the past years supported Mulanje Mountain Conservation
Trust’s – MMCT environmental education activities which are financially supported by them.
0999 750 957 / 0997 062 181